The Modern Collection by Universal Furniture is sophisticated, clean, simple, bold and a bit daring. It honors its roots in Modernism but doesn’t replicate mid-century style. The focus is on livability and usability, making it comfortable enough for every day.
While Mid-century Modern evokes a definitive style, Modern by Universal was developed to serve as a flexible furnishing base with room for interpretation by retailer, designer and consumer. The collection represents a wide range of aesthetics and depending on merchandising options, it can be conservative or glamorous, relaxing or invigorating, neutral or colorful.
- Restrained forms, favoring function and eschewing ornamentation
- A visual emphasis on strong horizontal and vertical line
- A natural appearance of materials – seen in wood, metal and fabric choices
- Canted, mitered corners in select case pieces
- Quartered oak and mahogany veneers
- Floating drawers
- Faux shagreen trim and drawer fronts in select case pieces
- Six beds set the character of the collection, three in dramatic scale
- An upholstered, tufted bed with vertical wings spanning 13 feet
- An over scaled, rectangular brass poster bed with a gray velvet, channel-tufted headboard
- A metal framed panel bed with faux shagreen inserts
Distinctive dining tables:
- Mahogany surface supported by antiqued bronze, intersecting rectangular legs
- Round, sandblasted tabletop with intersecting ribbed metal legs
- Rectangular mahogany table with starburst veneer and square brass legs that pierce the tabletop
Original mirror designs:
- A 5-foot-tall wall accent composed of 42 small, circular mirrors, each edged in metal
- A rectangular floor mirror with faux shagreen frame reaching over 6 feet tall
Modern by Universal is primarily a finish and hardware story. Textural sandblasted and wire-brushed finishes were developed and refined using complex layering techniques, and variations of color and sheen to achieve a dry, casual optic. There are several distinct colors in the finishes, though all are neutrals, which work together naturally, even within the same room. Each one is rich in character and texture, letting the material speak for itself.
Wood finishes are complemented by metal and leather accent finishes.
Sandblasted – Sandblasted finishes expose the open grain of the wood, more so than the wire brushed finishes in the collection.
Wire brushed – In an effect similar to sandblasted, but with more subtlety, the wood is abraded by hand to achieve an aged look.
- Portobello – a rich brown, often paired with shagreen panels and metal trim
- Mahogany – Quartered mahogany with a smooth, polished sheen
- Faux shagreen
- Antiqued bronze
- Brushed brass
Antiqued bronze drawer pulls, cabinet handles and dining able accents feature ribbed detail are paired with sandblasted and wire-brushed woods. Sleek brushed brash hardware gives a mid-century metropolitan feel to mahogany finished furnishings.
FurnitureCart is an authorized dealer of Universal Furniture International, Inc. that offers good, affordable, smart design. A highly regarded source for beautiful home furnishings at attractive prices. Universal Furniture creates quality furnishings for the whole home with a focus on function and lifestyle. The company’s casegood, upholstery, accent and accessory designs are developed under the brand names Universal Furniture (Lifestyle Collections), To The Trade (Interior Design) and Smartstuff (Baby and Child).